Let's get after this.

My ability to tell you about my life and my thoughts was temporarily disabled. For more than a month, in fact. And what caused this inability? Laziness. Pure, uninhibited laziness. So, um...sorry.

Caroline (Tyler), Jason (Tom), and Will (Ted) on set.
Day One of filming for TENTS came and went a little before the end of the semester. We braved the chilly weather, our breath fogging up the coffee shop where we were shooting, and created some pretty great memories. Our actors are phenomenal people and I respect all of them to the highest degree. I'm so pumped to work with them again.

With few regrets, we pushed the rest of filming into second semester and plugged through finals. Christmas break came and I made attempts to explain TENTS to people, sometimes successfully. There was that time at the Christmas Eve party when I explained to one of Daddy's cousins that I want to "go into film" and observed the polite, blank stare that I received in response. It's even worse than when I say I'm a writing and rhetoric major. "Uh...that's nice." Guys, I know you don't want to admit that the rhetoric part confuses you...but you really should. It makes my job easier when I explain what I'm studying.

Speaking of rhetoric, I registered for three rhetoric classes to take second semester. As I ordered my books for my six classes, I figured I would be just fine. Then classes began. Wow. That's a lot of studying rhetorical concepts. Thankfully, I am also taking a short fiction writing class and a science fiction and philosophy class. It's been a packed semester so far, but I am loving my classmates and having two solid English professors teach all but one of my classes is truly a privilege.

Some of you may already know this, but one of my stories from Intro to Narrative and Verse got published in a literary journal. (http://scholar.valpo.edu/act/vol2/iss1/34/) I dedicated it to Daddy since it is about my relationship with him. It was a complicated process to submit the piece, which is a great story if you ever want to hear it, but in the end, I was able to put together a hard copy of the original edition and give it to Daddy for Christmas. Hearing him say, "It's very good" and then watching him melt in front of me was far more rewarding than bragging rights or a portfolio piece.

Currently, I am juggling my six classes, Student Activities, RED411, TENTS, two hours in the Writing Center, and duties as a copy editor for the school newspaper. I regularly conclude that I am over-booked, but then I remember how much fun I have doing these things. I am also working with some people on a short film to show at NW's Day of Learning that is coming up next month.

Telling stories. That's what I'll be doing all of this semester. Please be in prayer for the people whose lives will be affected by these stories. I don't know where TENTS is going, I have no clue what this film for DoL will look like when it is finished. It's going to be crazy. This is the time when I just have to depend on Jesus to point me towards the correct stories.

Prayer requests...health. Our schedules are exploding and it IS winter. Stress levels are high and it's only January. Time management. Endurance. Peace about a few different situations.

Video of the post is "Lawdy" by The Vespers. I realize that I post about this band all the time, but Callie and Phoebe Cryar are my spirit animals. Plus, their lyrics are on point.

God loves me, and God's love is enough.


Comments

Popular Posts