"Are you really living by not doing it?"

Whoa, hey. Guess who is pretty late at updating around here? Sorry about that. Things got rather busy last weekend and then I forgot to post this weekend.

Life has been a whirlwind of class, meetings, video editing, and planning for TENTS--oh, and I did some homework and slept a bit as well. In all seriousness, sometimes I wonder how I actually accomplish everything without getting at least one late grade on an assignment. On the bright side, I have no time to procrastinate, so I suppose that is a good thing, right?

Our production team!
If you had told me a month ago that the TENTS project would have support from multiple faculty members, I would have been baffled by your creative thinking. Yet here we are at the end of September with a tentative release date, a project proposal, production team publicity shots, and a social media page with a quickly growing number of subscribers (https://www.facebook.com/tentstogether). There are two printed copies of the script; we have a tentative date for auditions; we have plans to design posters early in October.

We have an assistant director! That may not sound like a big deal, but we have been praying for an additional member to our team in order to effectively get this project running smoothly, and last week we were finally able to confirm everyone's roles and bring more people onto the team. We also have two faculty advisers, which means our conversations with Northwestern leadership will be supported and assisted. God is so good.

On Friday night, our team got together and talked for three hours about where we want to take the project. During that meeting, I realized yet again just how crazy this idea really is...but I also realized that it is actually happening. By this time next year, six short films will have premiered online and been released on Northwestern's campus. That's pretty crazy awesome. I have no idea where God is taking this thing, but I do know one thing: at this time last year, I thought I was going to be a copy editor and I was becoming friends with 80% of the people on this team.

That's the craziest part. Besides Michael, I barely knew or had not even met any of the other team members until September or October of sophomore year. Now we're about to kick off the biggest independent project that Northwestern has seen in a long time...or maybe the biggest ever. Funny how God works.

Next week I shall be back to thinking about what life has been teaching me day by day, but for now I'd just like to ask you to do two things.

The first thing is to like our Facebook page. Most likely, if you are reading this, you are already friends with me on FB. If you haven't connected to "Tents: Something Built Together," please do so. The wider our presence gets, the more people we can reach when these films are finished.

The second thing is to pray for us. Pray really hard. We're just now seeing ways that God is moving this project in the right direction, but we don't want TENTS to be limited to what we can see. Our team needs unity in order to function. Auditions are after fall break, but there is so much to do before then. We all have jobs and busy schedules and other commitments and--gasp!--other relationships to maintain.

Rather than finding a song of the post this week, I am leaving you with a quote from one of my film maker heroes, Olan Rogers:

"There will be people that will say you can't make a living out of something you love to do. But are you really living by not doing it?"

God loves me, and God's love is enough.

Comments

Popular Posts