Look out for your sisters, don't forget your brothers.

You know those days when you realize for the first time in a long time just how fantastic your friends are? Yeah, that was the majority of this past week.

Classes began on Tuesday for most, although I didn't have any until Wednesday morning. Three out of the four courses I am taking are in some way connected to my major or my minor, which is exciting for me even if most people think I'm crazy for taking so many writing classes at once. You might have to be an English major to know why I don't mind my schedule.

Because I don't have classes on Tuesdays or Thursdays, I have decided to set aside those days for working and catching up with people I care about. Thursday hosted a wonderful conversation/friend date with Brianne, which was much-needed and appreciated. Between that lunch and our later conversation on Friday night, I was finally able to talk about the summer and how God has changed me in the last three months. But even more importantly, I got to hear how God has been working in her life as well. While we had to stay up until 2:30 in the morning to have that conversation, it was worth the exhaustion on Saturday just to spend time with my Aaron-friend and remember why I value her friendship so much. I left her apartment with an overflowing heart that night.

Dorm life has been...well...different. The family I found last year is scattered all over campus (and in other states) and I constantly have to remind myself that this year is going to be a new experience with a new group of people. My motivations are different this year, as are my goals for building relationships. Junior year will probably be focused more heavily on learning how to love the people I already know more selflessly. I am excited for that prospect but there is still an ache in my heart whenever I think of my 3South sisters who are no longer able to pop into my room at odd hours of the day and night.

There are so many things I could say about this week, but I summarize it more briefly than I often do. As for ways you can pray, please continue to think of my adjustment process to sleep schedules, work schedules--heck, all of the schedules you can name, I might be adjusting. Our TENTS project has been slowed down (by our choice) but certainly not abandoned. Please remember us this week. It's time to start a new movement on Northwestern's campus...a movement that informs without condemning and tells stories without exploiting.

The song of the post is one that I have been waiting to share for a long time. "Sisters and Brothers" by The Vespers continues to change the way I view other people and its lyrical beauty alone is enough to make me listen to it on repeat. "We already know the ending of the story. We don't have to worry about the little things. Look out for your sisters, don't forget your brothers. Gotta take care of each other."

Enough said.

God loves me, and God's love is enough.

Comments

Popular Posts